The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse offers a mobile homekill service, ideal for farmers and lifestyle block owners across Central Otago.
Our custom-built homekill trailer is operated by our director Adam Mulholland. With many years of hunting experience, Adam maintains a calm and patient presence around your animals to ensure a humane dispatch and the best possible quality meat.
Our passion for quality meat is what really sets The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse apart when it comes to looking after the specific needs of homekill and hunted game customers.
We service the wider Central Lakes region – from west Wanaka and Cardrona through to Hawea, Luggate, Tarras and Cromwell, as well as over to Gibbston Valley, Alexandra, Makarora and Haast.
Please plan ahead when booking our mobile homekill service. Depending on time of the year, we are often booked four weeks in advance. We group bookings together by area where possible and suggest you might like to talk with neighbours about co-ordinating homekill dates.
Talk with us about the number of animals and your preferred date(s) by phoning Adam on (03) 443 5017 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll come back to you with an exact date and time for your booking.
The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse homekill slaughter service offers:
- Humane on-farm slaughtering cattle, sheep and pigs by an experienced slaughter-man.
- A purpose-built, fully-enclosed trailer with rails, electric winches and electric hide-puller to handle carcasses safely and hygienically for transportation to the shop for processing.
- Skinning of pigs.
- A detailed slaughter docket left with you to confirm the number and condition of the animals. Beef will be weighed to confirm carcass weight.
- Please note all offal and hides/skins remain on the property for disposal/burial.
See the Mobile Homekill Services price list via the button below.
Notes re pricing:
- A minimum fee of $80 per property applies regardless of the number of animals being slaughtered.
- A mileage charge of 0.72c/kg may apply for bookings further than 30km from Wanaka. However, if other jobs are booked in the same area or your job involves a significant number of animals, we may reduce or waive this charge. We suggest talking with neighbours to book several jobs on the same day where possible.
- All pigs are skinned on-farm, the same as beef and sheep.
- All offal and hides/skins remain on the property for disposal/burial by the owner.
Generally these are available 24/7 for a fee of $80 (animal slaughter only), subject to Adam’s availability.
If the animal is to be skinned, gutted and transported to The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse for processing, then usual mobile homekill charges apply. Please note there is a minimum fee of $250 per cattle beast.
Call Adam Mulholland on 022 126 4407.
Please note, mercy kills are not available through the busy Christmas-New Year period.