- 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 hand-made sausages – beef, lamb or pork
- Tomato sauce or chutney, to serve
What to do:
- Get your sausages out of the fridge before you start and thaw the pastry sheets if frozen.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the pastry sheets on your workbench and cut each sheet into four squares.
- Working with one square at a time, brush one edge with egg.
- Spread one tablespoon of your favourite chutney or onion jam over pastry. Top with one sausage.
- Roll up pastry to enclose sausage, with egg-brushed edge on top. Press to secure.
- Place, seam side down, on tray.
- Repeat with remaining pastry, egg, chutney or onion and sausages.
- Brush the top of each sausage roll with egg. Lightly score with a knife. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and pastry is golden.
- Serve with more chutney or sauce, and salad if you like.
Simple onion jam
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until tender. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until caramelised. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.