Covering the wider Upper Clutha
We offer a mobile homekill service, ideal for farmers and lifestyle block owners across a wide area – from west Wanaka and Cardrona through to Hawea, Luggate, Tarras and Cromwell. We’ll come to Gibbston Valley, Alexandra and Makarora too.
Our passion for quality meat is what really sets The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse apart when it comes to looking after the specific needs of homekill and hunted game customers.
Our custom-built homekill trailer is operated by our director Adam Mulholland. With many years of hunting experience, Adam maintains a calm and patient presence around your animals to ensure a humane dispatch and the best possible quality meat.
How to book
Depending on time of the year, we are often booked 4-6 weeks in advance so please book ahead!
Ideally, we group bookings together by area to help save you travel costs. You might like to talk with neighbours about co-ordinating homekill dates.
Talk with us about the number of animals and your preferred date(s) by phoning Adam on (03) 443 5017 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mobile homekill service includes:
- Humane on-farm slaughtering of cattle, sheep and pigs by an experienced slaughter-man.
- A purpose-built, fully-enclosed trailer with rails, electric winches and electric hide-puller to handle carcasses safely and hygienically for transportation to the shop for processing.
- Please note all offal and hides/skins remain on the property for disposal/burial.
Prepping your animals for homekill
- All animals to be killed should be isolated from other stock (with mates nearby if you can, especially for beefies), ideally in a well-fenced yard or paddock with easy access for our homekill trailer.
- It’s helpful for Adam to have access to a fresh water supply.
- Sheep should be free of dags and recently shorn. If sheep have dags or a full fleece, we charge an additional on-farm processing fee of $20/animal.
Did you know that it can take up to three times longer to skin a sheep with a full fleece than one that has been recently shorn, even for an expert butcher like Adam? Heavy dags increase the risk of the carcass being contaminated and making it unfit for human consumption.
Additional points to note
- A minimum fee of $80 per property applies regardless of the number of animals being slaughtered.
- A mileage charge of $1.35/km applies for bookings further than 30km from Wanaka. However, if other jobs are booked in the same area or your job involves a significant number of animals, we may reduce or waive this charge. We suggest talking with neighbours to book several jobs on the same day where possible.
- All pigs are skinned on-farm, the same as beef and sheep.
- All offal and hides/skins remain on the property for disposal/burial by the owner.
- Sheep with full fleeces incur an additional on-farm processing fee of $20/animal due to the length of time required to skin the carcass to our quality standards.
These can be arranged but are always subject to Adam’s availability. A minimum fee of $250 per animal applies.
If the animal is to be skinned, gutted and transported to The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse for processing, then usual mobile homekill charges (see above price list) apply.
Call Adam Mulholland on 022 126 4407.
Please note, mercy kills are not available through the busy Christmas-New Year period, or other holiday periods.