CENTRAL OTAGO'S EXPERT HOMEKILL AND GAME BUTCHERS
Adam, Jeff and the team at the Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse in Wanaka offer expert homekill and recreationally hunted game butchery and processing services.
We are licensed by the Ministry of Primary Industries to provide homekill or game butchery services on behalf of animal owners or recreational hunters. [See our MPI listing.]
Our passion for quality meat and our understanding of farmed and game animals are what really set The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse apart when it comes to looking after the specific needs of homekill and hunted game customers.
Let us help you make the most of your prime homekill beef, sheep and pigs, and wild game animals – deer, pigs, tahr and game birds.
We take pride in creating accurate meat cuts like roasts, steaks, chops and mince and manufactured items such as sausages, salami, bacon and more from your animals. Talk to us about gluten free and preservative-free options, if required.
- You deliver the complete carcass(es) to us at 33 Reece Crescent, Wanaka. Look to the right for our carcass preparation notes.
- You deliver the meat – bone-in or boned – from your animals to us. Also see notes to the right.
- We come to your farm or lifestyle block with our mobile homekill trailer to humanely dispatch your cattle, sheep or pigs, then we take care of the carcass(es) from start to finish. See Mobile Homekill Services link below.
Our meat cutting forms provide full details on the cuts and manufactured items which can be created from your homekill or hunted animal.
Please feel free to call us on 443 5017 or visit us at the shop with any questions. We are very happy to talk you through the options that best suit your animal/meat and eating preferences.
Please provide as much notice as possible for your preferred week of slaughter. Depending on time of the year, bookings can be at least four weeks out and will depend on the area.
IMPORTANT NOTES ON HOW TO GET YOUR ANIMAL TO US IN GOOD CONDITION
- All animals in carcass form (homekill or game) must have the head, feet, skin and innards removed. Ensure the carcass is free of hair, faeces and flies.
- Any meat you have taken off the carcass yourself should be kept wrapped/contained and chilled.
- Ideally make a booking for a drop-off time for carcass or meat. Call ahead on (03) 443-5017 to we can meet you at the side door and weigh in your carcass or meat.
- Download and complete the relevant meat cutting form (see buttons below), or we will go through this with you during drop-off.
- Remember to book ahead wherever possible so we can offer you the best possible customer service.
FIND THE MEAT CUTTING FORMS ON THE RELEVANT PAGE
As per MPI rules, all homekill and hunted game customers are required to sign the PRIVATE PROCESSING DECLARATION upon collection and payment of their order.
The declaration reads: “As a customer having homekill domestic or hunted game animals processed by The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse, I understand that this meat is not intended for resale or trade. I confirm I have owned the domestic stock for a minimum of 28 days (where applicable).”
If you have any queries or wish to make a forward booking, please don’t hesitate to give us a call
on (03) 443-5017 or email email@example.com