CENTRAL OTAGO'S EXPERT HOMEKILL AND GAME BUTCHERS
Adam, Jeff and the team at the Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse in Wanaka offer expert homekill and recreationally hunted game butchery and processing services.
We are licensed by the Ministry of Primary Industries to provide homekill or game butchery services on behalf of animal owners or recreational hunters. [See our MPI listing.]
Our passion for quality meat and our understanding of farmed and game animals are what really set The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse apart when it comes to looking after the specific needs of homekill and hunted game customers.
Let us help you make the most of your prime homekill beef, sheep and pigs, and wild game animals – deer, pigs, tahr and game birds.
We take pride in creating prime meat cuts like roasts, steaks, chops and mince and manufactured items such as sausages, salami, bacon and more from your animals. Talk to us about gluten free and preservative-free options, if required.
- You deliver the complete carcass(es) to us at 33 Reece Crescent, Wanaka. Look to the right for our carcass preparation notes.
- You deliver the meat – bone-in or boned – from your animals to us. Also see notes to the right.
- We come to your farm or lifestyle block with our mobile homekill trailer to humanely dispatch your cattle, sheep or pigs, then we take care of the carcass(es) from start to finish. See Mobile Homekill Services link below.
Our meat cutting forms (see red buttons to the right) provide full details on the cuts and manufactured items which can be created from each animal species.
Please feel free to call us on 443 5017 or visit us at the shop with any questions. We are very happy to talk you through the options that best suit your animal/meat and eating preferences.
MOBILE HOMEKILL SERVICE
We are proud to offer a humane on-farm homekill service for the Upper Clutha and Lakes District.
Please provide as much notice as possible for your preferred week of slaughter. Depending on time of the year, bookings can be at least four weeks out and will depend on the area.
If you have any queries or wish to make a forward booking, please call us on (03) 443-5017 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
HOMEKILL AND GAME MEAT CUTTING FORMS
Homekill and hunted game butchery newsletter
GET YOUR ANIMAL TO US IN GOOD CONDITION - IMPORTANT NOTES
- All homekill or game animals brought in to the Butcher’s Block in CARCASS FORM must have the head, feet, skin and innards removed.
- It is your responsibility to ensure the carcass is free of hair, faeces and flies.
- Chill the carcass as quickly and efficiently as you can to reduce the risk of bone taint.
- Any meat you have taken off the carcass yourself should be kept wrapped/contained and chilled before drop-off.
- We strongly recommend booking ahead for carcass drop-off as well as large quantities of trim. Call ahead on (03) 443-5017 to we can meet you at the side door and weigh in your carcass or meat.
- Download and complete the relevant meat cutting form (see buttons below), or we will go through this with you during drop-off.
Remember to book ahead wherever possible so we can offer you the best possible service and meat quality. Our processing schedule is often very busy and we don’t like turning away customers who haven’t booked ahead.
As per MPI rules, all homekill and hunted game customers are required to sign the PRIVATE PROCESSING DECLARATION upon collection and payment of their order.
The declaration reads: “As a customer having homekill domestic or hunted game animals processed by The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse, I understand that this meat is not intended for resale or trade. I confirm I have owned the domestic stock for a minimum of 28 days (where applicable).”