The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse offers an on-farm homekill slaughter service, which is good news for those don’t want to or simply don’t have time to slaughter their own farm animals.
Our custom-built, mobile slaughtering unit is operated by our director Bruce Scott. With more than 20 years of slaughtering experience, Bruce know how to keep your animals calm which ensures the best possible quality meat.
Bruce’s 30 years of experience as a butcher – and the knowledge he’s passed onto Jeff and our team – is what really sets The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse apart when it comes to looking after the specific needs of homekill and hunted game customers.
We service the wider Central Lakes region – from west Wanaka and Cardrona through to Hawea, Luggate, Tarras and Cromwell, as well as over to Makarora and Haast.
Book our mobile homekill service by phoning (03) 443 5017 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to advise how many and what animals and your preferred date. We group bookings together by area, so will liaise with you regarding an exact date and time for your booking. Depending on time of the year, we are often booked four weeks in advance.
The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse homekill slaughter service offers:
- Humane on-farm slaughtering cattle, sheep, pigs and deer by an experienced slaughter-man
- A purpose-built, fully-enclosed trailer with rails, electric winches and electric hide-puller to handle carcasses safely and hygienically for transportation to the shop for processing
- Skinning of pigs
- A detailed slaughter docket left with you to confirm the number and condition of the animals. Beef will be weighed to confirm carcass weight
- Please note all offal and hides (except beef hides) remain on the property for disposal/burial.
The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse homekill slaughter service pricing
- A minimum fee of $80 per property applies regardless of the number of animals being slaughtered.
- Travel charges will apply for bookings further than 25km from Wanaka, but can be reduced depending on the number of animals. For example, a booking in Haast requires around 5-7 beef or 30 sheep to avoid travel charges. Bookings can be combined with neighbours for maximum economy.
Slaughter fee per animal
Lambs and ewes
$50 (skinned only)
$80 (skinned only)
Mercy kills are also available 24/7 for a fee of $80 (animal slaughter only). If it’s to be skinned, gutted and transported to The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse for processing, then the above charges apply. Please note a minimum fee of $250 per cattle beast applies.