The Butcher’s Block and Smokehouse Wanaka offers homekill services to farmers and lifestyle block owners around the wider Wanaka region. We are licensed by the Ministry of Primary Industries to provide homekill or recreational hunted game butchery services on behalf of animal owners or recreational hunters. [See MPI listing.]
This means you can get your homekill beef, sheep, pigs and deer, and all hunted game, including game birds, turned into a full range of butchery meat cuts and our fantastic sausages, bacon, salami and other smallgoods. Many of our smallgoods are gluten free, and allergy-friendly options are also available.
We can undertake the slaughter of your homekill animal for you with our director and experienced slaughter-man Bruce Scott operating our custom-built, mobile homekill unit. Please refer to the homekill services page and provide as much notice as possible for the preferred week of slaughter. Depending on time of the year, bookings can be at least four weeks out and will depend on the area we’re servicing each week. Please ensure you have completed the relevant meat cutting form via the above links and sent this to us before the slaughter date.
Please refer to the page for each type of animal for the specific meat cuts and smallgoods we can create, and the relevant pricing:
- Beef – standard and premium cuts and processing
- Lamb, hogget or mutton cuts and processing
- Pork cuts and processing
- Venison, thar and chamois cuts and processing
Important notes on getting the carcass or meat to us in good condition:
- You can dispatch the animal yourself (homekill or hunted game) and make a booking to deliver the chilled carcass to our premises at 33 Reece Crescent. PLEASE ensure the carcass is completely clean of head, feed, skin, hair and faeces.
- You can provide chilled meat you have cut up yourself to our premises for processing into smallgoods. Please complete the relevant sections of the meat cutting forms available on the animal type page links above for the products you want made. Minimum quantities and dollar value apply.
There’s a lot of information and choices to make in order to get the most from your homekill or hunted animals, so please feel free to call us on 443 5017 or visit us at the shop with any questions. We’re happy to help.